Bristol Academy and Liverpool Ladies have gone national in the coverage leading up to the FA Women’s Super League deciding game tomorrow afternoon. The match will be televised live on BT Sport 2 from 1:30pm (2pm kick-off). Hopefully there will be lots of bums on seats in Liverpool as well as in front of the TV, demonstrating that support for women in sport is high.
In addition to live coverage, there has also been a good collection of match reports previewing the FA WSL final:
- BBC “WSL Title Decider: Liverpool Ladies v Bristol Academy“
- The Guardian “FA Women’s Super League Title within the grasp of Liverpool Ladies“
- The Telegraph “Natasha Dowie desperate to lead Liverpool to title“
- The Independent “FA Women’s Super League: Ghosts of 1989 won’t faze Liverpool side intent on creating own history“
- The Independent “Life beyond the Premiership League: ‘Female Michu’ can fire Bristol minnows to fairy-tale triumph“
- BT Sport “Underdogs Bristol ready for title decider“
- The FA News: “Bristol based for glory“
At Sport Watch Bristol, we’ve been heartened by the media coverage – not least in Bristol itself where the Bristol Post declared on its front page “Balls to the Boys. Champion’s League games and a title decider against Liverpool. It’s not Fantasy Football for one Bristol team.”
But we know the only way to see more coverage in the media of women in sport is to continue to demonstrate that the demand is there. Our aim is to make it easier for the women and men of Bristol to go out and show their support for the athletes of our city. If you haven’t already, bookmark our calendar of local fixtures and get out there to show your support too. There’s no replacement for cheering crowds and roaring chants!
We’ll be enjoying the FA WSL match tomorrow (rooting for our Vixens) along with everyone else. But we’re also looking forward to the full sporting season ahead — not just with football, but basketball, hockey, rugby and all the other sports the women of Bristol are out there competing in too.