International Women’s Day, 8th March, has gone from strength to strength in recent years as a celebration of all things for women. And if you want to celebrate through sport there is plenty going on here in Bristol to help you on your way. This year’s theme is ‘Make it Happen’ – maybe through a new sporting experience you could make a change for you, someone close or your community.
Here are our highlights:
- Unfortunately this one already happened, but Wesport kicked things off to a good start last night with their Women’s Coaching Networking Event. Coaches from across the West of England spent time focusing on #conversationsthatmatter with professional executive coaches and got an expert insight into physiotherapy and sports injury from Nuffield staff. But if you are a coach you could still sign up for this invaluable learning resource and network.
- Something of a cycling season kick-off is going on with a number of rides happening including a Bristol Women’s History Tour and Le Sportif ride out to Clevedon. For information on these and other rides for women check out Breeze. There is also a Women on Wheels film night over at The Cube on Sunday evening, courtesy of Bristol Cycle Festival – but last we heard this was all SOLD OUT already unfortunately!
- For spectators, the awesome guys over at Artemis BJJ are running their 2015 Grapplethon in aid of Equality Now. The action starts at 2pm on Saturday running for 24 hours at Bristol Sports Centre in St Paul’s. If you can’t get along to support, help them reach the £2k and above target for fundraising here.
- If grappling sounds like it may not be your thing there is Premiership netball over in Bath on Sunday morning – details in the SportWatch calendar.
- Unfortunately the international calendar is looking a little light as there is a break in the fantastic action from the Rugby with the Women’s Six Nations resuming later in the month. Closely following, will be the start of the new football season with the FA Women’s Super League getting underway. Prior to that Bristol Academy will be running out at Ashton Gate to take on FFC Frankfurt in the Women’s Champion League on 21st March.
- If trying out new sports is more your thing the folks down at the City Council are putting on a whole range of FREE taster sessions at sports centres across Bristol on 8th March – you can find more details here and more information about their work on #ThisGirlCan here.
So go on, we think you’ll agree there is plenty going on in sport for us all to ‘Make it Happen’ in 2015 – Happy International Women’s Day from all at SportWatch!!